[lbo-talk] coked-up currency

shrill.polemic at gmail.com shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:11:29 PDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009 4:42pm, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> It's not just currency. The machines they use are wacker than crack. This
> story is from 2001 but the problem remains the same.

> By Kristen Lombardi, Boston Phoenix

> http://www.alternet.org/story/11642/

> IN THE FIGHT to keep drugs out of prisons, wardens resort to all kinds of
> arcane and invasive tactics. They turn cameras on visitors, let dogs
> sniff bags, and require extensive pat-down searches. Before being allowed
> into a visiting area, people must shake out their hair,...

Thanks for the article although I don't agree that officials leave machines in the position of "final arbiter". From what I've seen drug screening is yet another way to remind prisoners that guards and the warden hold complete and arbitrary control over how inmates live and what they can do.

Another example is that visitors can be turned away due to being dressed "inappropriately". That standard changes regularly and arbitrarily without notice.

It's very fucked up.

shrill