[lbo-talk] WH plans to apparently drop "public option"

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 19:22:20 PDT 2009

Deep down, I'm pretty sure that Obama would prefer the Conyers bill. Hell, his personal physician for over twenty years was in practice with Quentin Young. (Young, for those who don't know, is the founder of Physicians for a National Health Plan and has fought longer and harder for national health insurance than anyone I know). But even deeper down, Obama is committed to discarding options he doesn't believe are in the politically feasible set and, more disastrously, doesn't believe that you can expand the feasible set by finding and enemy and killing it in public. This was the enemy to kill, Obama invited it inside the tent instead, and now the monster has won. This is Clintoncare all over again, except that there will probably be some face-saving legislation at the end of the day.

And fuck it all, this monster could have been killed. I was invited to give an Elderhostel talk on the economy a few weeks ago. This was in a very nice senior care facility NW of Chicago. The people who showed up were engaged, smart, and had money. All of them, even the guy with and MBA and JD from the University of Chicago who was a big fan of Coase and Stigler, hated the insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies. Not one of them disagreed when I said I thought the best option was (improved) Medicare for all. Jesus H Christ, even John McCain, in one of the Republican primary debates, called big pharma the enemy. A more than two trillion dollar industry, a mass constituency mobilizable against capitalist health care, and Obama and his liberal pawns bleat about a "public option" until they bleat "never mind".

At this point I guess the only hope is to pressure those 63 Dems who say they'll vote against a plan without a public option to stand fast, hope that we can get through 2009 with no legislation, and then see if there's anyone left in this country who can organize.

Oh fuck it, who am I kidding? Wojtek is right.

MM