[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Aug 17 19:43:43 PDT 2009

On Mon, August 17, 2009 1:54 pm, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> the other fascinating thing is that rosenberg shows how software
> developers are actually terrible at 'standing on the shoulders of giants'
> when building their code.

I'll check out the text, but I'm leery of broad statements about "software developers", who are as variegated as the hardware platforms they code for, the industry segment they operate in, and the problems they're trying to solve.

Judging from Chandler's site (http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/Vision) it sounds like they're trying to do something with smoothing workflow operation, a very specialized task with a limited community of interest. This seems like the software version of pure research, which may or may not have a direct or immediate payoff, very different from a team focused on, say, let's-build-a-better-audio-mixer. Or am I getting this wrong?

-- DRR