[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Mon Aug 17 23:16:51 PDT 2009

At 11:22 AM +1000 18/8/09, Mike Beggs wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Doug Henwood<dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:
> >
>>> I've never had a problem I couldn't fix within a
>>> couple of hours
>>
>> It takes a certain kind of person to find that not annoying.
>
>Yeah, but 'a couple of hours' compares favourably to my experience
>with Windows. I haven't used a Mac in years, since I used to work in
>newspapers, and then I found them fine. I have nothing against the
>Mac; my annoyance with Apple mainly comes from the restrictions built
>into ipods and iphones, and the whole horrible iTunes vortex, and
>admittedly that annoyance battles with all the appeal of the ipods and
>iphones. I was about to get an ipod touch until I found out how tied
>in to itunes it was, to the extent that I would have to hack it and
>not use its built-in music playing software to run it with my
>computer. You could say that's a Linux pitfall, but personally it just
>pissed me off with Apple all over again, and proves Dwayne's point.
>I'll wait for this Creative version that runs Android.

I gather you need to keep your original MP3 files backed up. You can easily convert them to Itunes format but not the other way.

Personally I've never had the slightest interest in owning an ipod. Or an Iphone. In fact I never have and never will own a mobile phone, which seem to be things that wankers own.

But Apple's proprietry software systems are extremely annoying. I would like to be able to use Iphoto, because it is very easy to learn and use, but it seems to destroy the files, converting the pictures into a proprietry format which won't change back.

So I just avoid using it. That is a serious nuisance.

On the other hand, IMovie is just so easy to use that I have been assimilated.

One thing about Apple and the Mac that I recently discovered is that the helpline is actually as good and easy to use as the Mac itself. Had to ring them a couple of times this year and was simply amazed - no long wait in a phone cue, almost straight onto a human being, who speaks clear English, who knows what they are talking about and is keen to help you out with anything.

This is a new experience, a telephone help line that actually works. Why didn't anyone else ever think of doing that? It just seems such an obvious thing now that its been thought of.

I suppose it helps that the computers are generally sound. Obviously not much you can do if you are trying to set up a help line for people who buy Hewlard-Packart printers. Not much of a budget either, since they basically sell them for what they are worth (nothing) and there isn't anything you can do to help users, except advise them to throw their printers in the rubbish tin and buy a real printer.

Still, the help line at HP is worse than it needs to be. Probably some sort of recorded message as soon as you get through (if you get through) the the effect of "abandon hope all ye you enter here" would save some time.

Personally I was disappointed that Apple went into the mobile phone business. I was hoping they'd make a video recorder that just works. How hard could it be? The world is crying out for such a thing. Or a vacuum cleaner that is reliable and simple.

Perhaps a multi function vacuum cleaner, that has a built-in Ipod? (If you can't have a silent vacuum cleaner then one that has earphones and plays music is the next best thing.)

C'mon Apple, forget about mobile phones, those things are a useless dead end. Make something useful.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas