[lbo-talk] Federal employees plan? was AP: White Houseappears ready to drop 'public option'

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Aug 17 23:26:09 PDT 2009

Max writes:

> I do agree that at the end of the day, as I pointed out
> in my post, that those with low pay can't easily afford
> health insurance, even if it is group coverage, even with
> subsidies, because work doesn't pay.

It might work better if FICA didn't kick in until some level like $40k. At %40k this year, FICA costs you about $200/mo. Raise the cap by $40k and only tax the amount above $40k and you'd have a nearly revenue-neutral way of having low-wage earners in the ballpark for affording health insurance.

(You might have to raise the cap by more than $40k, but that's a detail)

But I'm repeating myself :-)

/jordan