[lbo-talk] ubuntu stuff

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Aug 18 10:32:05 PDT 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> But: it's a singular example, and was quickly overtaken by advances
> in compiler technology that made it into the for-pay compilers, and
> gcc has never really recovered. It is no longer anywhere close to
> the best compiler out there,...

This is all arguable (especially in the sphere of cooked benchmark numbers) but gcc is very much in use (though you are essentially right about the confusion surrounding GCC3 and the EGCS adventures). Not just within the FOSS space, where of course it is the de facto compiler, but in a wide range of applications, including embedded systems. As a lot of the online applications world moves to interpreted languages, you see a corresponding adoption of other FOSS technologies such as Perl, Python, RoR, PHP, etc.

As the gay community says: we are here, we are freer... deal with it! ;-) ;-)

--ravi