[lbo-talk] Uwe Reinhardt wishes health care reform fails so Americans learn some sort of painful lesson

M myles.sussman at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 16:31:44 PDT 2009

"I think Nader is a Leninist. He thinks things have to get worse before they get better." -- Media critic Eric Alterman in "An Unreasonable Man"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/18/reinhardt.health.inflation/index.html

"(CNN) -- Watching the angry outbursts at town hall meetings on health reform and the continuing public ambivalence about current efforts to reform our health system almost makes me wish that the reform effort fails. Perhaps Americans need to be taught a basic lesson on the economics of employment-based health insurance before they will feel as smugly secure with it as they do now and before they will stop nitpicking health-reform efforts to death over this or that detail."               Since Reagan, it seems to me that hoping for the American public (or even American political elites) to learn some kind of painful lesson from disastrous policy choices seems a lot like being a Cubs fan. The lesson is always going to be learned next year.     (Read the posted comments about the article and you get an idea that lots of children were left behind, in our public education system)