[lbo-talk] health care poll

M myles.sussman at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 12:16:03 PDT 2009

Fair enough. People are definitely receptive to anti-government arguments! I know I am, since a lot of my taxes go to pay for bombing poor people who lack clean running water, seemingly every time they have a wedding.

But, the media doesn't talk about the way the private enterprise system actually functions, and I think that has a non-negligible effect on how people are receptive to arguments about private enterprise.

If I say "standing in line at the DMV" this is a code phrase for government that is wasteful and inefficient and unpleasant to deal with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice how much fun it is to call "customer support" for many corporations and be directed first through a maze of punching buttons on your phone in order to finally be put on hold for 10 or 20 minutes waiting for the person in India who will not be able to help you much. So in theory I could have the same kind of code phrases to stand for the inefficiency or ineffectiveness or unpleasantness of private enterprise. I think if it was in the constantly-repeated messages of the media it would be in the consciousness of the public. This is not really a highfalutin argument, which is why comedians make this argument it in their stand-up routines and people laugh.

In the health care debate, we start with the missing fact of exactly how much of the money collected by the for-profit insurers actually *doesn't* get spent on providing anyone health care. The answer is hundreds of billions of dollars per year. That's enough money to pay for the entire annual budget for the US Postal service at least four times over (probably five), and still have enough money to pay for the combined budgets of all 50 state DMVs.  Any so-called Joe the so-called Plumber can understand the argument about the so-called wastefulness of the USPS or the DMV, so I think people are capable of understanding just how much money the for-profit insurers waste. This isn't a super-intellectual argument, either. But it's an argument that only gets made by PNHP. Obama merely echoes Frank Luntz and talks about the waste in Medicare and Medicaid.

You want complicated charts of how health care actually works today? How about holding up all the possible claim forms for different insurers that a doctor's office might have to fill out in order to get reimbursed for their work? The forms will outweigh your telephone book. Of course the media doesn't show how it works in other countries, either, as Michael Moore did in SiCKO. No forms. People imagine that it's like waiting in the DMV line in countries that have universal health care, when in fact it's our private enterprise system that is much more of an unpleasant experience for the patient. How often does the media show RAM clinics (as 60 Minutes did) or go to an ER and watch the uninsured waiting in pain with a problem that could have been treated months ago, while the doctors first finish up with all the gunshot wounds? I think not a lot of brainpower is required to see how it all works, if the lens is turned in the right direction. Propaganda

isn't just about which arguments get made, it's also about which arguments are left out.