[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:38:24 PDT 2009

Doug wrote:

Right. My point is that the stuff I've downloaded in the last few months isn't encrypted.

<http://www.apple.com/itunes/whatsnew/>

iTunes music. Now 100% iTunes Plus.

iTunes Plus is nice and an example of how the 'threat of a good example' -- that is, open standards -- can push organizations that would rather retain strict command and control towards more people friendly platforms.

What pushed Apple towards Plus? The popularity of DRM-free MP3. And, Amazon's use of openness as a successful advertising point. The open object's *existence* helped create the opening iTunes users now enjoy.

This is precisely what I mean when I say that -- warts and all -- open source helps even those happy closed-source users who think it has nothing to offer them.

.d.