[lbo-talk] Barney Frank at the top of his form

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 19 12:43:44 PDT 2009

I think the administration is actually quite pleased with all the sound and fury about what's essentially a non-issue. (It's been obvious for a generation that the US should have a healthcare system like the other industrialized nations; it's equally obvious why we don't.)

What the health care argument does is crowd out much consideration of the administration's frenzied attempt to expand (i.e., win) the war in Afpak. Polls show a majority of Americans now disapprove of the war, but you wouldn't know that from the media, where what we hear is puerile boilerplate like what Obama gave the VFW this week, e.g.,

"Those who attacked America on 9/11 are plotting to do so again. If left unchecked, the Taliban insurgency will mean an even larger safe haven from which Al Qaida would plot to kill more Americans. So this is not only a war worth fighting; this is fundamental to the defense of our people ... No matter the mission, we must maintain America's military dominance."

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate" [Noam Chomsky]. --CGE