[lbo-talk] Legendary Lawyer Doris Brin Walker

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 20 16:57:35 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton:

> Charles, do you know this book and would you recommend it?
>
> The morning breaks : the trial of Angela Davis / Bettina Aptheker.

I'd recommend it, without having read it, just from the fact that Aptheker was a communist student activist, was part of the Civil Rights, Free Speech, and Anti-War movements, as well as the early Feminist movements. I think she teaches or did teach at UC Santa Cruz. I am sure she knows Davis personally. I used to listen to her in Sproul Plaza during noon hour lunch break. She had a terrible high pitched hysterical sounding voice that was very annoying, but her speeches were good. I think many of her speeches were composed so they had political points to make, taught, and were not just rants from podium.

It's also quite possible Aptheker was in the trial room public audience as the case unfolded---or at least tried to be whenever she could get in or didn't have to do something else that day. There may be a sound archive available at Pacifica, if radio stations keep such things.

CG