[lbo-talk] telecom astroturf

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 06:12:38 PDT 2009

> Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> They seem to have strange bedfellows: Gun Owners of America and Moveon.org,
>> Christian Coalition of America and ACLU.

Not to deny Bill's point, but IIRC, this coalition was actually first built around opposition to the 2003 changes to FCC regulations. In this sense, it was the threat of the corporate control of media outlets that supposedly brought them all together. I don't have my copy of McChesney's /The Problem of the Media/ handy, but he gives an account of how it was wrought at the time. It is actually the only worthwhile part of that book. The rest is a little to comfortable with its fear of bigness (as Doug might put it) and therefore sees little reason to explain why it is a bad thing.