[lbo-talk] Microsoft: 0, Google: 1

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 06:51:03 PDT 2009

I never paid for a Microsoft product in my lifetime. Whatever I use either came with the computer I purchased or from my work. A singular exception to that was Microsoft Streets and Trips which I once bought used on Amazon for some ridiculously low amount to provide maps for a GPS PCMCIA card that I used to have, and which I am not using anymore because I sold the card and Google and dedicated stand-alone GPS products offer superior functionality. I guess in either case someone else paid for these products (i.e. computer manufacturer, JHU, or the original buyer) but at least none of *my* money went to Redmond.

But what really puzzles me is why people and businesses put up with the crap dished out by Redmond when other alternatives are either already available or within reach of being quickly developed. Just imagine the loss of productivity brought by the need to retrain millions of workers to use the new shit crapped out by Redmond aka Office 2007. Form a purely business perspective it makes no sense, since the functionality offered by 2007 is nearly the same as that of 2003 for most business uses, but the menus have been so completely rearranged, that previously learned skills are almost entirely obsolete.

Jordan mentioned support - but in my experience it is a total canard. In my entire life time I have not received a single bit of useful support information from Redmond, all they could say was that my file was probably "corrupted" and I had to start my work anew. Their "support" would be totally laughable if it were not so frustrating. For every single problem I had with their buggy software I either found the solution myself (e.g. by Googling it) or from more knowledgeable friends and co-workers.

So, really, what makes otherwise cost-conscious people and businesses, especially outside the US, fork over good money to Redmond for their overpriced and poorly debugged crap?

Wojtek