[lbo-talk] Chazelle: Jury Duty Democracy

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:45:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

I suggest that all US senators and representatives should be picked at
> random among the adult population. Like jury duty. Except that if
> you're chosen you can say no.

I'm not sure I care for this last bit. It seems to me that the best candidates would also be among those most likely to decline. I know San Marino will jail anyone elected as a Captain Regent who refuses to serve; perhaps other precedents for this exist?