[lbo-talk] Chazelle: Jury Duty Democracy

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Aug 23 22:42:32 PDT 2009

At 1:23 AM -0400 24/8/09, Michael Pollak wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Sandy Harris wrote:
>
>> > I suggest that all US senators and representatives should be
>>picked at > random among the adult population. Like jury duty. ...
>>... PS: I don't > recommend this for the US presidency because the
>>variance is too high.
>>
>> What about for the Electoral College?
>
>Indeed. One of the comments at the site suggested the solution would
>be to abolish the presidency and have the sortition-selected
>congress elect a prime minister from among their number.

No need to abolish it entirely. Retain a ceremonial President, with no actual power. Like the UK monarch.

In which case it would be fun to retain US Presidential elections too, which are a quaint cultural tradition. Lots of pageantry and pomp. Quite expensive of course, but the poms wouldn't hear of getting rid of the monarchy, even though that is also a useless and expensive relic of the past.

This would be an ideal solution, retaining the trappings of democracy, a symbol of a fine American cultural tradition. If only for the tourists.

Everybody would have loved George Bush if he'd been a ceremonial head of state. Bumbling around in his cowboy hat. Just like they Love Queen 'Liz. The Royal Family's popularity would take a dive if her family was allowed to start wars again.

Bill bartlett Bracknell tas