[lbo-talk] Chazelle: Jury Duty Democracy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:59:04 PDT 2009

[WS:] Number One Con is that this system will do little to alleviate the suckiness of the US government, which is due to its institutional structure rather than quality of people who get elected.

To make a long story short, the US government sucks, because its institutional structure, especially the balkanization of agencies dealing with most domestic issues, makes it susceptible to business influence at th expense of any other influence. This is how the damn thing was desgned by plantation owners in 1772 and changed very little since then. It therefore matters little what king of people get elected - the US government would suck even if Karl Marx himself were elected president.

My proposed change would be to considerably strengthen federal government in the area of domestic policy and weaken it in the area of defense. Specifically:

1. Abolish local and state taxes and establish a uniform progressive federal tax (same rate for every locality, but higher rates for high income earners and high-value properties) that would be distributed to states and localities based on their population shares. That is, schools would be funded based on the number of students they enroll rather than local property values. Transportation projects would be funded based on population density rather than influence of congressional shysters - and so on. The states would also receive discretionary funds based on statutory formulas (i.e. shares are defined by law rather than negotiated by congressional shysters,) which they can use for any legitimate project, including defense. That would prevent business from playing one jurisdiction over another to get a tax free ride.

2. Institute a proportional representation parliamentary system. That is, abolish the senate and keep the congress in which political parties receve the share of congressional seats proprtional to the number of votes they received nation-wide - as opposed to gerrymandered districts. The chief executive and the cabinet are appointed by congress, based on distribution of party seats.

3. The Congress will have no line item power over the budget. That is, they can either approve or reject the budget as a whole, but they cannot add or take out individual items. This would deprive congressional shysters of their political patronage (aka pork and barrel) power.

4. While the command of the armed forces would be vested in the federal government, the fed would have no authority to raise or maintain the army. All army personnel and funding (save a few command posts) would be supplied by the states, and the states would have discretion how much personnel they provide and for what operations. In other words, the states would have a say in military affairs similar to that wielded by EU states - they can supply troops only if they wish to, and they can restrict thier mission after they are deployed.

5. Limit the power of the judiciary to privatye parties. That is, courts will have no jurisdiction over decisions or actions of government of any level - only over private parties. All government decisions and actions would be subjected only to administrative reviews or the political approval (e.g. through parliamentary no-confidence vote or popular recall vote.) That would prevent sabotaging government policies by organized business groups.

Wojtek