[lbo-talk] american individualistism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:44:07 PDT 2009

[WS:] Interesting piece, indeed. As I read it, there is no such a thing as American individualism (or American group-think) in the sense of an exceptional quality that exists here and nowhere else. Rather, there are different ideologically grounded arguments about the presence or absence of individualism.

Based on my own bi-cultural experience I'd argue that the US is in some respects more individualistic and in other less individualistic than "old Europe." Take, for example, conflict resolution. On the ideological level, US-ers tend to be more individualistic than old Euros i.e. vocally asserting their own power and prowess rather than mediation and compromise in resolving conflicts. In reality, the opposite is true - the US-ers are more likely to engage in communal means of conflict resolution (from forming interest groups to filing law suits and less likely to go physical) than old Euros (who are more likely to go physical or engage in one-on-one informal engagement to solve a conflict.)

Stated differently, USers ar emore likely to express individualist ethos than old Euros, but at the same time they are more likely to purse collective/communal action (at least in certain areas of life) than old Euros.

Wojtek