[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:35:02 PDT 2009

[WS:] I am not saying that they don't. My rant was not about pollsters, but about the role industry-generated images shape the perception of the US public. It is far greater here than in other places. My hunch is, however, the US public may not be as "against their own interests" as the media images seem to suggest.

The fact that people oppose Obama's health care reform may not necessarily be rooted in their conservative ideology or fear of government. They may not like what they see (I certainly do not like the watered down version of the public option, I think we would be better off without it) or they may be exhibiting the "endowment effect" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect i.e. value what they have than what they do not. But that is hardly unique to the US - EU experiences this big time.

While we are at that, I do not think that most people have any ideology in a political sense of the word - they have "stock knowledge" that frames their perceptions of opinions and political ideologies. It just happens that the right wingers are so much better than the left wingers to link their ideology to the stock knowledge prevailing in the US society.

Besides, if the pollsters know that opinion polls suck, why do we have so many of them?

Wojtek