[lbo-talk] Let's Argue About Sonic Youth's "Retro-necro reverence"!

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:26:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Dwayne Monroe<dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here at LBO, home of delicious mixed drink recipes, dystopian dating
> guidance, bored AIs in search of weapons platforms, neuromancing femme
> personas, language is a virus REsearch, old fashioned cranky opinion
> mongoing and jacketed anti proton beams, we argue about many things.

I have a historical connection to SY that is probably too strong, but still I agreed with some of what k-punk wrote. On the other hand, I can't really take his posts seriously. I think they'd be worth arguing against if he'd (1) not been intentionally provocative or contrarian (I can read Zizek for that); (2) shown any interest in the music SY has produced over the last 25 years; and (3) not consistently engage in the same sort of curatorial exercises and canon-making that he dogs on SY for engaging in: Burial brilliant, the rest of dub-step bad; The Fall were brilliant through the first half of '82, etc.