[lbo-talk] Let's Argue About Sonic Youth's "Retro-necro reverence"!

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:05:45 PDT 2009

I am not as down with Sonic Youth as I was when I was in college, but the new record is surprisingly a very strong album, and Matador is a better label than Interscope/DGC, for the band. It should serve them well for the next few years.

I read the piss-take by ex-Wire editor Mark Fisher (K-Punk) on his blog, earlier this summer, and I do think he was write to poke at Sonic Youth for how they deploy their indie cred. Somebody should have done that years ago. If anything, it was overdue.

Even though its ultimately inconsequential in terms of cultural posturing, (cool to niche record buyers) it is a facet to SY's self-marketing that has lost its cultural significance, as opposed to the early 90s, when Moore dropping the term 'Foxcore' would make people jump.

Best, Joel