[lbo-talk] Americans think about the public option

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:33:00 PDT 2009

[WS:] I think you give the Reaganites too much credit, Charles. The US standards of living are in a slow but steady decline since the 1970s, and downwardly mobile societies tend to espouse a conservative political outlook. So controlling for that generally conservative trend, Reaganites do not seem to add much value of their own. They did not even cut government social spending, (see my calculations of inflation adjusted government social spending increases by administration at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArE2VA3WdmNAdEc0eTRKS25qSUJJODZFbUd6MGpwT0E&hl=en) let alone Social Security.

If I were to name the most successful Repug administration after WW2, it would be - ironically - Bush jr. In a sinister and repulsive way, to be sure, but very successful indeed, if we measure success by pursuing an agenda in spite of the built in inertia of the US political institution. Nobody else as able to pursue such a radical foreign policy agenda, undermine so many civil liberties at home, give so much public money to cronies and lead the Congress on a leash like a puppy throughout the whole process.

Wojtek