[lbo-talk] Let's Argue About Sonic Youth's "Retro-necro reverence"!

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Aug 26 17:53:05 PDT 2009

been reading Chris Anderson's _Longtail_ because I saw it on the shelf. was looking for his most recent, Free, but it isn't in the library yet. Anderson spends a good deal of time on this phenom since the longtail is that portion of the music listening audience -- 98% of online buyers -- who buy extremely eclectic niche music (does it even make sense to call it micro-niche? isn't that redundant?) but certain online retailers are exploiting that -- like netflix. once you expose the 4.5 million possible songs to download or movies to order, people will order from this extremely wide range of genres and won't flock to what used to be called "blockbusters" or top ten hits on the music charts. but they won't "flock" at all, but will form groupuscles around certain niche products -- if they get together on line to dicuss at all.