[lbo-talk] class and classical music

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Aug 26 20:40:24 PDT 2009

It's an interesting topic. A couple books that I have read on the topic Understanding Toscanini by Joseph Horowitz (kind of poppy Adorno, who truly despised Toscanini, who perhaps did not deserve this ire, the story is actually kind of sad at times) and The Maestro Myth.

However, the biggest two celebrities of U.S. classical music (both conductors and composers) were distinctly of the left, Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland. Bernstein's Children's concerts both operating within the logic of the celebrity conductor, and a democratizing effort.

robert wood