[lbo-talk] identity politics and Ubuntu stuff

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Aug 27 04:23:05 PDT 2009

At 05:08 PM 8/20/2009, Gar Lipow wrote:
>This seems to me not only true, but obviously true. Is it really
>paranoid to assume that capitalism and male dominance and so on do
>shape not only our external circumstances, but our assumptions and the
>way we think and feel?

been meaning to reply...

you are ignoring the fact that there is a modifer there, "paranoid structuralism". why? because halley is assuming there are other kinds of structuralism. :)

she's talking about someone like Catherine macKinnon (who's paranoid structuralism Halley sometimes admires in that interesting way that Halley admires folks. :) MacKinnon, recall, famously argued that there was no such thing as women's desire under patriarchy. There's nothing about sex that women, under conditions of patriarchy, enjoy.

I replied because this comment I read last night and just responded to annoyed the shit out of me: This seems to me not only true, but obviously true. Is it really paranoid to assume that capitalism and male dominance and so on do shape not only our external circumstances, but our assumptions and the way we think and feel?

http://cleandraws.com/2009/08/27/radfem-cough-logic/