[lbo-talk] US not a private enterprise system

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 06:33:01 PDT 2009

Michael Perelman :

I can't think of a period.

D. T. cochrane wrote:
> Do believe there was a time when the practices of the US government more
> closely matched its liberal ideology/rhetoric of non-intervention and
> free markets?

^^^^^^^ CB: OK I'll buy that the US or even Britaiin was never a truly free enterprise system. ( The Birtish East India Company had a state granted monopoly, for example). But for political education purposes the public bailout of the private sector over the last year is a spectacular illustration that would be hard for the "orthodox" economists to deny. These bailouts are right in everybody's faces. Millions are aware of it and pissed off about it. The American mentality is more plugged in to current events than history. Strike while the iron is hot (smile).