[lbo-talk] Let's argue Ted Kennedy at least for a few more posts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 27 08:11:12 PDT 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Thank you Dennis P. I had completely forgotten Kennedy's 1980 campaign
> against Carter and his support for de-regulation of trucking

It was more than support - the whole movement for airline and trucking dereg practically originated from his staff. Greg Tarpinian, who used to be a Communist at the Labor Research Association, but who went on to become a fanboy of Little Jimmy Hoffa and then executive director of Change to Win, once explained this to me as a reflection of merchant capital's desire to reduce transportation costs. I said, you mean because Daddy was a bootlegger? He said yes.

Doug