[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:13:43 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Doug Henwood<dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

>> Hah!  Yes.  [BPD] always struck me as a clinical way of calling
>> somebody a fucking asshole.
>
> Does that make it untrue?

Oh, no, not at all.

Amateur diagnoses have helped me figure out what other people's deals are. My onetime fiancee's backstabbing behavior was a mystery to me for years until I stumbled on a description of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Now I can console myself with the thought that it's considered untreatable, and that people with it tend to die depressed and alone, having alienated everybody around them.

-- Andy