[lbo-talk] Transformative covers

RicardoStarkey at aol.com RicardoStarkey at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 16:11:50 PDT 2009

In a message dated 8/27/2009 12:43:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, cb31450 at gmail.com writes:

How about the Beatles imitating Elmore James, as they imply in one their songs.

Yeah. That was George Harrison at the intro of "For You Blue," from _Let It Be_.

The Beatles were influenced by many different artists, but very few were their contemporaries. Aside from the rivalry with the Rolling Stones, which I don't think mattered much, the only important contemporary influences that I know about were Bob Dylan and Brian Wilson/the Beach Boys.

(Of course, Ravi Shankar was a significant influence on GH, but he was significantly older, too.)

Speaking of influences, are you familiar with "Belly Button Window" from Jimi Hendrix's _The Cry of Love_? He's doing his own Dylan song there.