[lbo-talk] Prison policy news

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 18:12:01 PDT 2009

I cut out the middle. It reads better this way I think.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/08/state-to-close-youth-lockup.html

State to close largest youth lockup, convert it to adult prison

August 27, 2009 | 3:46 pm

The state is closing California's largest youth prison as the population of juvenile delinquents in state custody continues to decline, corrections officials announced today.

[...]

The number of juvenile offenders in state custody has dropped over the last 10 years from a peak of nearly 10,000 to approximately 1,700, the result of legislation that now puts most young inmates in county jails.