[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Aug 27 18:46:58 PDT 2009

At 12:40 PM -0500 27/8/09, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

>the definition of "worked" is the issue there, no?

We're getting somewhere, yes. The issue is, what do these medications do? We can understand how the lobotomy achieves the desired outcome, which is to make the problem person more easily manageable.

Are the drugs simply a chemical way of doing the same thing? I think some of them are. But is it necessarily a good thing to make people more manageable? Is it a good thing to have all these ready diagnoses at hand which justify drastic steps to make people more manageable.

I find the whole notion more than a little sinister. But perhaps this is just a symptom of me being a little ODD.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas