[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 22:03:00 PDT 2009

Every summer I spend a week at a U.C. alumni-based family camp in the Sierras. My bridge partner there is a pediatrician who has worked at Kaiser in Redwood city for 30 years. I asked him about ADHD and whether it's more prevalent now than it used to be.

He said no, he didn't think so. He said he hated labels and that his sense of it was that before "civilization" it was probably a very good thing for any group to have a couple of ADHD members who were hypersensitive to stimuli and could alert the group to dangers invisible to others. The only problem is that when you put those people in over-stimulating environments and make them sit still for eight hours a day, it drives them crazy. That's what he said.

Joanna