[lbo-talk] class and classical music

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 28 08:59:27 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 10:28 PM 8/27/2009, Joanna wrote:
>
> >I'm willing to bet that two hundred years from now, the classical
> >20th century music people will be listening to and building on will
> >be tangos, waltzes, rhumbas, jitterbugs, salsas, cha chas, and folk
> >songs. It won't be Cage.
>
> Are you saying Cage was removed from dance? What was Merce
> Cunningham, a potted plant?

In any case, even if Joanna is right, she is wrong. If she is right, then in200 years the tango will be as strange and forgotten as the minuet is now.

Cage made a fantastic discovery, that hasn't really pen penetrated yet. Silence is silence, and the non-silence has a form if you listen to it.

Carrol