[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 28 09:26:54 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> At 11:53 AM 8/28/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:
> >But while we don't know whether or not cholesterol can be loweed by
> >proper diet, we do know that cholesterol exists.
>
> you are ignorant. but thanks for the gumball, too, Mickey.

Of course I'm ignorant about the specifics you discussed re cholesterol, and when I posted I knew that I wasm't labelling that debate correctly. But I thought my wording was reasonable shorthand for the more complex debate, which did not conccrn me. It remains true that debates about "mental illness" are debates abnout a mere generality, not a precisely labelled condition.

If cholesterol had nothing whatever to do with anything, it would remain true that in discussing it the "it" would have a referent. "Mental illness" does not.

And if I too used "mental illness" as an abstraction rather than a generality in the past, then I was either wrong or sloppy. So what.

Carrol