[lbo-talk] gotta' love those damn liberals

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 1 03:29:55 PST 2009

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Chris Doss wrote:

> If the US and co. pull their troops out of Afghanistan, is the war there
> going to stop? Or is the issue here that the killing is being done by
> the US, rather than some other force, and so Americans feel icky?

That plus the fact we have to pay for the privilege. Plus the fact that Afghans, while they would continue to kill each other in feuds if all outsiders left tomorrow, would kill a lot less of each other in that case. Outsiders are an accelerant on the killing and a deterrent to achieving an equilbrium.

So it's not whose doing the killing that's the problem, it's that there more of it, and the way to reduce it is obvious, cheap and just: stop throwing gasoline on the fire and calling it water.

Michael