[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:14:56 PST 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/world/asia/02policy.html

I voted -- and asked people -- to vote for Obama.  I made my case on the grounds of what would better advance the class struggle.  I still think that, with the information then known, it was the best decision.  I didn't think I had high hopes or expectations about him as an individual.  I did think though that, under the right conditions, his personal background made it possible for him to become a decisive reformer, even if not an FDR.  But I think I was entirely wrong on that.  He is not one of us.  Period.  I don't entirely understand his motivations, but that matters little now.  I am convinced that this decision offsets anything historically progressive that Obama may accomplish -- if at all.