[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:45:26 PST 2009

And the "independent class action" alternative was? An Obama victory was still preferable to a McCain one and an alternative couldn't have been *willed *into being. If efforts were made by the leadership and organizations of the "actually existed left" to work towards some type of refoundation of the anti-capitalist left we would have been able to make some strides in the right direction (I don't mean electorally). I'm not blaming Obama. He's just a symptom. But what was the best decision... knowing what you know now? (I also would object to the 1930s nostaliga. The 1930s represented a historic defeat for the left and there is no going backwards in time to the era of social democracy)