[lbo-talk] We May Be Born With an Urge to Help

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:47:28 PST 2009

If I may be a Grey Vampire: this doesn't show that prosocial behavior is innate except in the sense that the capacity for altruism is innate, which we already knew from the fact that, duh, people exhibit prosocial behavior. (Is "innate capacity" logically redundant? Maybe, but I don't think anybody wants to get into a dialogue with Plantiga.)

And then there's this gem:

> Indeed, it is in our biological nature, not our
> political institutions, that we should put our trust, in
> his view. Our empathy is innate and cannot be changed or
> long suppressed. "In fact," Dr. de Waal writes, "I'd
> argue that biology constitutes our greatest hope. One
> can only shudder at the thought that the humaneness of
> our societies would depend on the whims of politics,
> culture or religion."

What does that even mean? Read literally I think he's saying he shudders to think (and rejects the possibility) that there could be combinations of politics, culture, or religion under which societies are not humane. But as an educated person he obviously knows that those exist. Maybe he shudders to think (and rejects the possibility) that human societies would, sans politics, culture, and religion, not be humane. But that's just transparent gibberish.