[lbo-talk] European press reaction to Swiss ban on minarets

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Dec 2 09:37:27 PST 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I wonder if such a referendum would pass in the U.S.

It seems pretty obviously unconstitutional. When you're a religious minority in a democracy, it's nice to have a bill of rights. And it has very deep roots on that particular question. I think even our wackiest right wing religious types would have a hard time pushing it without feeling guilt that they were oppressing a religious minority. They have no trouble supporting harassment of muslims, don't get me wrong. But attacking their churches, I think that make would most of them feel uncomfortably in the wrong.

Michael