[lbo-talk] European press reaction to Swiss ban on minarets

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:28:22 PST 2009

RE: It seems pretty obviously unconstitutional. When you're a religious minority in a democracy, it's nice to have a bill of rights.

[WS:] You are kidding, right? Since when the bill of rights prevented numerous instances of discrimination of unpopular minorities in this country? Slavery, Jim Crow, internment of citizens of the Japanese ancestry during WW2, McCarthyism, union busting, discrimination of same sex couples - the list is long - all of which are unconstituional but none of which were impeded in any way by the bill of rights.

Bill of rights is just a piece of paper that may be evoked to protect the rights of the mainstream majority or some powerful minorities, but if you are a powerless and unpopular minority you can pretty much hang it on your bathroom wall.

Wojtek