[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 2 15:17:48 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> > Even so, I'm still holding out hope for something different. Events
> > are not
> > static and can give rise to new thinking.
>
> On Obama's part, or on the part of all the once-deluded and now
> increasingly disillusioned liberals?

Nicely put, but it remains to be seen whethr any signicant number of liberals will be (or are" disillusioned. No one can survive complete lack of hope, and if one's _premise_ is that the _only_ pathway to change is thrugh the Democratic Party, then it is very very easy to "reillusion" oneself. I mean, if Volcker, airline deregulation, Hilalry's haalth plan, Anti-Terroism and Effective Eath Penalty Act, TANF, just to name the most galring instances, have left one open to falling in love with a man who _promised_ military action against Afghanistand and 'if necessary' Pakistan, then can _anything_ prevent 'reillusionment" every four years? I mean, there are some really knowldgeable and sincere people in the Committees of Corespondence, people that anyone needs to respect, and yet they soldire on for the DP presidential nominee.

Carroo