[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:46:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carrol: Obama is a DP president.
>
> [WS:]  I find your persistent singling out the DP misguided, if not
> irritating.  It is like focusing on the tails of a bad coin while forgetting
> its heads.  The whole damn thing is bad, not just its tails or its heads,
> and it will not get any better if you change either side of it.

I find the repetition a little irritating too, but Carrol's not wrong, and your objection both misses his point, which is highly relevant, and indicates that maybe Carrol's right to repeat. The point isn't that both are bad, which they are, but that leftists are mistaken when they repeatedly think Democrats should be able to transcend the strictures of governing capitalist democracy and "do good." The whole idea of "hope" rests on the belief that Democrats _are able to_ -- which is a separate question from _having the will to_; this is the question Dennis Perrin and Richard Seymour, among others, are interested in -- enact the change that commies, anarchists, and others want. They aren't, and so Carrol's saying that it's silly to pretend they can. His insistence on this point isn't trying to discover The Truth; he's just addressing leftists.

(*Of course, hypercynicism about Obama and the Dems is, to use your analogy, just the flipside of hope.)