[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 06:33:41 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

Do you really think the ending of slavery had
> nothing to do with agitation in the streets? Really?

Do you imagine that* *chattel slavery could persist as a social institution in an advanced industrial society? Or that it is mere happy coincidence that it does not?

Chris and Wojtek are right; Carrol is wrong (although I suspect he overstated his case, rather than actually believing his own claim). Technological and economic innovations have influenced the behavior of governments far more than angry mobs - and I've never been one to underestimate the influence of angry mobs.