[lbo-talk] Obama's betrayal of hope

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Dec 5 04:09:18 PST 2009

i'm curious. are there any good books to read on this topic? you know, someone who's decided to test these hypothesis via historical research? i've just been reading Robin Kelley's _Race Rebels_ and technological change had nothing to do with the decisions locals governments pursued. Sometimes, economic change did, but mostly what seems to have happened, at least in Birmingham, was that people were engaged in individual level acts of resistance that occured spontaneously, and every so often errupted into a group of blacks and whites, where blacks maintained solidarity and didn't break rank in the resistance.

Similarly, changes in government *after* 1963 were made in response to local level protests organized by neighborhood councils, housewives orgs. they weren't angry mobs in the streets; they were angry people at town meetings and the like.

also, the causal chain things seems off to me. why does it happen in a linear fashion?

In Birmingham, some street-level fighting had to do with the war -- they were ex-soldiers. But as the town deindustrialized and also suffered housing shortages, people got agitated and the street-level disruptions over segregation amped up.

I'm reading his chapter on Malcom X and zoot suiters right now. quite interesting.

As I've been reading it, though, it's made me interested in whatever body of research is out there that's explored the questions that Kelley raises abotu spontaneous street-level fighting -- and not just fiticuffs, but people just getting ticked and hitting up a town hall meeting -- and how it lays the groundwork for and feeds into more formalized resistance.