[lbo-talk] what is the working class

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 5 06:59:30 PST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 7:49 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> if anyone else is still reading, what do you suppose Marx meant by
> this sentence in the quote below? It's metaphorical, not literal but
> I'm not sure what "ad hominem" is standing for here:

> Theory is capable of gripping the masses when it demonstrates ad
> hominem, and it demonstrates ad hominem when it becomes radical. To
> be radical is to grasp things by the root. But for man, the root is
> man himself.

"Theory is capable of gripping the masses when it demonstrates [its truths] *to men and women personally* and it demonstrates *to men and women* when it becomes radical. To be radical is to grasp things by the root. But for man the root is man himself."

"Theory"[philosophy] is "radical" and "grips us" when it demonstrates to each of us not merely the historico/social reality of the species but also that this reality is also the reality about our most urgent personal life-concerns. As Ted Winslow never tires of pointing out, for this to happen demands a certain level of cultural enlightenment.

Shane Mage