[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola and Chevron not bad for, nature

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:46:45 PST 2009

Diamond wrote an article. It had a topic. I posted a link to the article. Andy asked me what I didn't like about the article. I responded in a very quick and dirty way to that specific request about that specific article with some - by no means ever intended to be comprehensive - empirical support. If you think that represents the totality of the breadth and scope of my analysis of the relationship between capitalism, different corporations, different scales of activity, diverse regulatory regimes and different environmental programs, I don't know why... I don't see a dichotomy in there.

If you want to expand on something I wrote, tell us why - after >150 years of left critiques of (neo-)Malthusian warnings and >100 years of left critiques of Progressive technophilic "reform" (all of which Diamond has been confronted with and refused to engage) we should follow Diamond down his path of argumentation.

If you have an alternative take on the political ecological critique of the kinds of neoliberal ecological modernization that Diamond is advancing, then please present it to us. You are a grad student, there is a wide literature on this.

If you have an alternative tactical approach that the left should take to Diamond's praise of Chevron, Wal-mart and Coke please spell it out. Last Spring, either here or the envirosoc list, I unpacked Wal-mart's green certification standards fairly extensively - I have little or no use for them. Over the last 20 years, any number of critical geographers - Michael Watts perhaps taking the lead - have analyzed the social and ecological devastation Chevron's practices in Africa (you can start here, if you'd like: http://bowotovchevron.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/resources-on-the-delta-ethnography-engage/ Until the reference to the MR article, I have to admit I knew nothing about Coke beyond its ubuiquitousness.

If you can show me where my comments preclude any of the work I've done on the ecological contradictions of captialism and environmental Marxist engagements with Bookchin, Goodman and Redclift, Benton, Schnaiberg, Latour, Salleh, Foster and Burkett, please show me where in the comments those are and how such an analysis is precluded.

If you have an argument that shows that scale doesn't matter - beyond quantitative measures - in terms of ecological impacts and power relations please present it... I said nothing about that, I simply responded, in context, to Diamond's article.

If you can point to the place where I made an explicitly normative argument about the evilness of Wal-mart, Chevron or Coke, please unpack it, otherwise stop reading things into my quick and dirty responses and asking questions about exogenous points.