[lbo-talk] Senate Dems drop public option

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Dec 9 13:51:19 PST 2009

First question I have is: "What does it mean to 'buy in' to medicare? Now, people have medicare as a right when they turn 65, so apparently the Senate bill supposes some pre-condition or pre-requisite in order to get into the program. SR

That's a good question. I suspect (without knowing the details) it means you can purchase medicare coverage at some rate, probably indexed to income.

MediCal has a system like this where the cut-off is income over 130 percent of poverty rate. You can keep your MediCal coverage by paying an indexed rate up to the next line where they cut you off entirely.

Obviously this bill is bullshit.

I just hope the CPC keep it together and vote it down in the House. Pelosi is probably working out ways to put maximum pressure on them. It's great strategy. If they vote no, they are traitors. If they vote yes they are cowards and liars.

CG