[lbo-talk] criteria

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 9 15:28:12 PST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Adorno on the "scribbler," in 1938:
>
> "If Sibelius is to be considered a good composer, then we shall have
> to disregard all of the criteria historically used to evaluate
> music...

Not just snobbery but stupid arrogant snobbery. The only permissible objective, historical, criteria to evaluate music are the judgments of performing musicians and musically literate audiences, to be confirmed (or rediscovered) a minimum of two generations after the death of the composer. The music of Sibelius, by those standards, stands up very well. But Adorno's?

Shane Mage