[lbo-talk] TSE on Henry James

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 9 16:30:43 PST 2009

The James list has come alive for one of its periodic bursts of lively discussion. The current thread reminded me of Elit's comment that James had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it (word?). What did he mean by that anyhow? And, perhaps more interestingly, did he implicitly claim that HE too had such a mind, and if he made that (implicit) claim then are we sinsulting hium by arguing about his "ideas." And if he did _not_ (implicitly or explicityly) make that claim for himself, then wa she in effect confessing that he did not have a "fine" mind, or at least one as fine as James's? And he did neither, then what kind of nonsense was he writing when he made this comment on James? Was it a responsible claim, or did Eliot by chance have the habit of throwing off profound nonsense eery so often in his criticism? If so, how do we separate the profound nonsense from the profound sense in his criticism?

Carrol