[lbo-talk] Gawande on the USDA model of health care

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:58:34 PST 2009

I heard this guy make these ridiculous parallels on NPR... you are exactly right, he has no substantive understanding of US ag history. Following Jim Hightower's argument from the early 1970s, the Progressive Farmer approach Land Grant Universities, The Farm Bureau, farm machinery, seed producers, input providers and food processors set up at the turn of the 20th century contributed mightily to these results:

1910 Farm Population 32, 077,000

Farms 6,366,000

1990 Farm Population 2,987,500

Farms 2,143,150 and, of course, this is was on purpose - the idea was to drive out of the market all "inefficient", "uneducated", "non-modern" and local- or self-provisioning producers. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, the growth of other sectors of the economy drew folks away, too... it wasn't all Farm Bureau push factors, unless you ask Farmers Union types.) I guess if this guy has his way, we'll be able to increase medical technology, inputs and assembly lines to the point that we can eliminate a third of all medical institutions and ninety percent of all doctors... and probably faster than the 80 years it took US ag... cool! APR