[lbo-talk] Why Welfare Reform Fails Its Recession Test

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:33:18 PST 2009

Why Welfare Reform Fails Its Recession Test

By Peter Edelman and Barbara Ehrenreich Washington Post December 6, 2009 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/04/AR2009120402604.html

We all like to imagine that there'll be something to stop our fall if we hit hard times. Mulugeta Yimer, for example, is a 56-year-old Alexandria cabdriver who escaped poverty and persecution in Ethiopia 20 years ago only to be clobbered by the recession. Business is way down, and he's facing possible foreclosure on his home. He says he is averse to government handouts, but when he contemplates what might be in store for his wife, who works part-time at a convenience store, and their two young children, he muses wistfully, "There's always welfare, isn't there?"